60 Second Avoiding Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic condition that affects the way your body metabolizes sugar also known as glucose, an important source of fuel. Type 2 diabetes is no longer just a disease of adults as children are being diagnosed with it, too.
Ultimately, it is inflammation in the body, especially the pancreas, which creates diabetes. Why the body/organ gets inflamed can be caused by a combination of things. Genetics can play a factor, but current studies show that there are triggers which turn a gene on or off. Environmental toxins can also cause your body to break down.
Diet has been shown to be a major factor in diabetes. The pancreas responds to carbohydrates that are sensed in the taste buds and in the intestines. Insulin gets released. When a lot of carbohydrates are ingested over and over the pancreas can fatigue and the body can become resistant to insulin, causing high blood sugar. Eating balanced protein, carbs, and fats at every meal and snack keep blood sugar lower. A great book to describe how this works is Enter the Zone by Barry Sears, Ph.D.
Diet is also a major factor in inflammation, and medical researchers are now saying that inflammation is the source of disease. Poor quality food — non-organic, GMO-laden, overprocessed, and fake foods are destroying our health.
So how can you avoid type 2 diabetes?
- Eat organic food whenever possible, keeping carbs, fats, and proteins balanced.
- Avoid foods that cause inflammation.
- Do not eat more than a mouthful of bread, pasta, cereal, rice, juices, potatoes, pastries, etc. at any meal. Never eat them between meals.
- Take a brisk 30-minute walk daily.
- Avoid chemicals in your home and workplace. Use an air filter whenever possible. Drink clean water.
- Get chiropractic adjustments regularly.
- Take supplements that nourish your pancreas and reduce inflammation.
Dr. Thorburn is a Registered Nurse and a Doctor of Chiropractic. She also has advanced training in nutrition. Take advantage of her 46 years of experience!