60 Second Sugar
Here are six interesting facts about sugar.
- The average American ingests 61 pounds of refined sugar per year, including 25 pounds of candy!
- Sugar may give you wrinkles via a process called glycation in which excess blood sugar binds to collagen in the skin, making it less elastic.
- Can you imagine eating 16 sugar cubes at one sitting? That is how much is contained in a 20-ounce bottle of soda.
- Soft drinks with artificial sweeteners might actually make you fat. In a Purdue University study, rats drinking liquids with artificial sweeteners consumed more calories overall than rats who were given drinks sweetened with sugar.
- A high sugar diet has been shown to reduce memory, increase cravings and cause brain inflammation.
- The foods that convert to sugar quickly are rice, bread, grains, bananas, fruit juices, potatoes, corn, and peas. If you are going to eat sugar or foods that convert easily to sugar, always have it with fat (good fats include olive oil, butter, avocado, nuts) and protein. Combing these foods will reduce the absorption of sugar in the system and reduce the load on the pancreas. With Type II diabetes on the rise, reducing the sugar load on your pancreas is wise.
The main thing to remember about sugar is that ingesting it increases inflammation and discomfort in the body. If you must use a sweetener, stevia is a good alternative to consider.
Dr. Thorburn is a Registered Nurse and a Doctor of Chiropractic. She also has advanced training in nutrition. Take advantage of her 46 years of experience!