60 Second Immunity Boost
If ever there was a time to become aware of ways to build up your immune system, that time is now. And it may be easier than you think. Here are a few recommendations.
1. Eat an antioxidant-rich diet. Choosing the right foods is one simple way to keep the body protected from the damaging effects of oxidation. Think richly colorful. Try fresh or frozen cherries, berries, apples, and tangerines and vegetables like broccoli, kale, yams, and squash.
2. Take whole-food supplements. Vitamin and mineral deficiencies can occur even in the best diet. The amount of nutrients you get from your food often depends upon the health of the soil the food is grown in, the variety in foods in your diet, and even your own digestive system. Finding the right supplements that your particular body needs can be difficult. At Thorburn Chiropractic & Wellness Center, we carry Standard Process, an organic nutrient line available only through doctors. We can help guide you in the process.
3. Practice gratitude. It may sound simple but keeping a gratitude list can just be the boost you need. Studies have proven that grateful people are happy people.
4. Work on de-stressing. We all have stresses — especially right now. Worry, however, will not make them go away. Focus on what part of the problem you can control.
5. Focus on relationships. Assess what people are important in your life and reconnect with them. Call your friends and family. You might just reach out and make someone’s day. And that someone might be you!
6. Find balance. Try looking at the positive aspects of being at home and take on some activities you’ve been meaning to do for a long time.
Dr. Thorburn is a Registered Nurse and a Doctor of Chiropractic. She also has advanced training in nutrition.