Tips for Boosting Your Immune System
As we navigate through these challenging times, one thing that rings true is the importance of keeping your immune system strong. There are some simple changes you can make daily that will help to boost your immune system and assist you in fighting off any illnesses floating around, including those that are viral. Here are a few ideas:
1. Reduce sugar. Yes, I know that being cooped up in your home with a pack of kids (or just by yourself!), the tendency is to bake or bring home sweets to make you feel better. Yes, carbs are the go-to comfort food. But they really don’t do a lot for your immune system. And that goes for pasta and alcohol, which all become sugar once digested.
2. Take targeted supplements. There are many supplements available for boosting your immune system – but figuring out which one is right for you is not such an easy task. Leave it to us! At Thorburn Chiropractic and Wellness Center, we carry Standard Process, an organic nutrient line available only through doctors. Call us and come in for a free evaluation.
3. Develop conscious eating habits. Meal planning, what a concept! We all have more time for this, as well as cooking at home. There are so many great online recipe options. Whether you are vegetarian, vegan, pescatarian, a steak-lover, or just plain budget-conscious, simple how-to recipes are all online. Make meal planning a fun activity for you and your family members.
4. Catch up on your ZZZ’s. Between work and other commitments, most of us are usually on the run. Week in and week out. But now we are forced to spend more time at home. Gone are the social commitments, most volunteering, outings, weekend trips, church activities, etc. It’s a good time to get some really deep rest. And if you’ve been struggling with sleep issues, here’s your opportunity to get into a daily schedule.
5. Add some daily exercise. You finally have the time for a few crunches! Here’s your opportunity to add some movement to your life. Take a walk outside in nature. Look online or on TV for some free stretch classes. Slow and easy is the best way to get started.
6. Work on de-stressing. Take advantage of the time to do things that have been on your ‘round to it’ list for a long time. Linger in a hot tub or shower. Take a nap. Brew up some herbal tea and read a book. Or take on a household task you’ve been meaning to do for a long while. Nothing like a little accomplishment to make you feel good — and feeling good contributes to a stronger immune system.
7. Be a good neighbor. Being of service just feels good. It’s good for you. And you can do it and still practice the new normal of social distancing. Ask your neighbors if they need anything when you’re planning a trip to the market. Bring their trash cans in or their mail to their door. Call those you have a number for and see how they are doing.
We’re open and here to serve you. Give us a call and let us know if we can help you choose the right supplements to boost your immunity and keep you feeling great.
What makes Dr. Charlene Thorburn different from other Chiropractors? In addition to her Chiropractic degree, she is a Registered Nurse (RN). Dr. Thorburn is also a nutritional professional with over 30 years of research and knowledge in the areas of nutrition and the healing quality of natural supplements. This gives her a well-rounded medical perspective and a unique ability to diagnose, treat, and get great results for her patients.