Stealth Holiday Health
You want to delight in the holiday season and not miss even one party or family gathering — but you also need to stay healthy in the midst of cold and flu season. How can you glide through the season undetected by friends who turn their noses up at healthy habits? Easy!
• Wash your hands more often and avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth. Germs and viruses gain access to our bodies through our eyes, nasal passages, mouth. and ears. And, unfortunately, germs are all around us this time of year.
• Eat more fresh fruits, vegetables, and fresh salads. Focus on consuming chemical-free, whole foods. Yes, in between those holiday parties. Be determined to have a salad for lunch every day, especially when you have food-focused plans at dinner or evening.
• Maintain stable blood sugar. Eliminate sugar and sugary products from your diet whenever possible. (Easier said than done during the holidays!) Sugar has been proven to weaken the cells of our immune system.
• Vitamin C and Echinacea (herb or tea) have been proven to be immune system boosters when taken at the beginning of the cold and flu season.
• Get good sleep. Consistent, restful sleep is vitally important to overall health and a well-functioning immune system.
• Don’t forget water. Make sure to maintain your usual hydration, especially if you choose to consume alcoholic beverages. Alcohol dehydrates the system and leaves it vulnerable to illness.
• Most of all, be happy! Enjoy this special time.
Dr. Charlene Thorburn is very different from other Chiropractors! In addition to her Chiropractic degree, she is a Registered Nurse (RN). Dr. Thorburn is also a nutritional professional with over 30 years of research and knowledge in the areas of nutrition and the healing quality of natural supplements. This gives her a well-rounded medical perspective and a unique ability to diagnose, treat, and get great results for her patients.