Top Ten Foods for Ending Inflammation
Inflammation can be dangerous to all the cells of the body. Inflammation is a term used when the cells of the body do not function correctly — their chemistry is “off”. It does not mean that you have a red or swollen area. So you can have inflammation without having pain. When the inflammation gets bad enough, a body part will fail. Irritable bowel syndrome, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, diabetes, and heart disease are all thought to be inflammatory problems.
Foods can increase or decrease your level of inflammation. Foods that increase inflammation include milk and milk products, sugar, grains, and soy.
Here are the top ten foods that can help reduce your body’s inflammation:
1. Cherries: Both sweet and tart cherries lower C-reactive protein, a blood indicator of inflammation.
2. Salmon: Oily fish contain omega-3 fats that boost production of anti-inflammatory compounds. Eat fish like wild salmon, mackerel, lake trout, and albacore tuna several times a week.
3. Broccoli: The phytochemicals in broccoli help reduce inflammatory substances associated with cancer development.
4. Shitake, oyster, and enoki mushrooms: These should be eaten raw or lightly cooked for the most benefit.
5. Extra-virgin olive oil: I have used this successfully to reduce pain for patients with arthritis. The oil needs to be raw – it doesn’t count if you cooked it. Start with one teaspoon daily.
6. Avocado: Yippee, this is actually good for you! Monounsaturated fats and antioxidants in avocados can counteract some pro-inflammatory foods.
7. Turmeric or Curcumin: Add these savory spices to your cooking. Their powerful anti-inflammatory quality may contribute to relieving the types of inflammation that can lead to arthritis, cancer, heart disease and more!
8. Green Tea: Green tea is rich in polyphenols that have effects like reducing inflammation and helping to fight cancer. These substances can reduce the formation of free radicals in the body, protecting cells and molecules from damage. These free radicals are known to play a role in aging and all sorts of disease. Try to choose a higher quality brand of green tea, because some of the lower quality brands can contain excessive amounts of fluoride.
9. Spinach: Contains antioxidants that boost the immune system and suppress inflammation.
10. Berries: Free radicals are eaten up by beautiful berries. If you choose to eat strawberries, only buy organic!
Set the goal of adding five of these anti-inflammatory wonders to your diet daily. You’ll be glad you did!
What makes Dr. Charlene Thorburn so different from other Chiropractors? In addition to her Chiropractic degree, she is a Registered Nurse (RN). Dr. Thorburn is also a nutritional professional with over 30 years of research and knowledge in the areas of nutrition and the healing quality of natural supplements. This gives her a well-rounded medical perspective and a unique ability to diagnose, treat, and get great results for her patients.