What Else Can Chiropractic Do?
Chiropractors move the bones of the spine away from the nerves, which reduces stress on the nerves. When the bones are realigned, the lining of the spinal cord and the fluids in the spinal canal and brain may become more normal which helps the nervous system work better.
When your nervous system works well, your body can coordinate all of its parts. It can determine the health status of various parts and correct what needs to be corrected. In other words, your body can heal itself.
Many people believe that the only reason to visit a doctor of Chiropractic is for a bad back. But as millions of Americans know, Chiropractic care has been shown to be effective in a myriad of adult and children’s health concerns. Here are just a few:
• Children’s Health – Chiropractic care can help to heal common childhood health problems such as ear infections, colic, colds, fevers, sore throats, bed-wetting, asthma, and allergies. Chiropractic care is effective in treating many learning and behavioral problems and promotes general wellness and prevention.
• Jaw issues – Stress, teeth grinding, and spinal problems can cause TMJ (temporo-mandibular joint) disorders. Skilled Chiropractic care can directly rebalance the muscles of the jaw.
• Sinuses –If your body is working properly, your resistance to germs, dust, temperature changes, and other stresses is high. A healthy body has properly draining sinuses. Relieving stress on the nervous system and body structure will help your body work more efficiently and help ensure that the skull bones move freely, allowing body fluids to drain without interference. Sinuses can relax and inflammation can clear.
• Digestive Issues – The nerves in the chest and abdominal region of the spine are connected to digestion. Chiropractic adjustments, particularly in the lower spine, may help relieve constipation. Pressure on these nerves caused by misalignment of the vertebrae may interfere with the normal function of the bowel as well as other organs of the digestive system.
• Extremities – Many shoulder problems originate in the area where the nerves branch out from the spinal cord and exit the neck. Shoulder pain or pain radiating down the arm can be accompanied by weakness, numbness, or tingling in the wrist or hands. Treating arm joints and muscles directly improves nerve flow and provides relief.
Classic tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis) is a repetitive strain injury that often affects the dominant arm. It is seen among carpenters, mechanics, office workers, cashiers, and anyone who performs repeated hammering, grasping and twisting motions. Therapy to the area and realigning the bones of the arm can resolve this issue.
Carpel Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) is usually due to compression of the nerve as it passes through the band of ligaments in the wrist. Very often we see that a bone in the wrist is out of alignment, putting pressure on this nerve. A wrist adjustment fixes this right up! In many cases, the underlying cause is one or more joints of the neck, shoulder, elbow, or wrist. Identifying the involved joint(s) and beginning a program of Chiropractic care can often help avoid surgery.
The most common foot and ankle problem we see is “pronation” – the arches of the feet are weak and the arch flattens. This rotates the ankle, knee, and pelvis and leads to many problems. We use orthotics (shoe supports) to realign the foot.
• Pelvic Problems – Women are often plagued by special spine and pelvic problems. They have a different pelvic structure than men and they carry most of their weight below the waist.The pelvis can become misaligned so that one hip is higher or more to the front or back of the body than the other hip. Changes in the structure of the pelvis lead to low back, groin, hip, and even neck pain. Therapy, adjustments, and specialized exercises can help to resolve this issue.
More and more people are choosing Chiropractic care first — before medicine and surgery. Chiropractic is safe, natural, and works with your body to create optimum health.