Top Ten Foods for Reducing Inflammation
Inflammation can be dangerous to the cells of the body. Inflammation is a term used when the cells of the body do not function correctly — their chemistry is “off”. It does not mean that you have a red or swollen area. So you can have inflammation without having pain. When the inflammation gets bad enough, a body part will fail. Irritable bowel syndrome, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, diabetes, and heart disease are all thought to be inflammatory problems.
Foods can increase or decrease your level of inflammation. Foods that increase inflammation include milk and milk products, sugar, grains, and soy.
Here are the top ten foods that can help reduce your body’s inflammation.
1. Cherries: Both sweet and tart cherries lower C-reactive protein, a blood indicator of inflammation.
2. Salmon: Oily fish contain omega-3 fats that boost production of anti-inflammatory compounds. Eat fish several times a week.
3. Broccoli: The phytochemicals in broccoli help reduce inflammatory chemicals associated with cancer development.
4. Shitake, oyster, and enoki mushrooms: These should be eaten raw or lightly cooked for the most benefit.
5. Extra-virgin olive oil: I have used this successfully with arthritic patients to reduce their pain. Start with a teaspoon daily.
6. Avocado: Yippee, this is good for you! Monounsaturated fats and antioxidants counteract some pro-inflammatory foods.
7. Turmeric or Curcumin: Add these savory spices to your cooking.
8. Tomatoes: The lycopene in tomatoes can reduce inflammation.
9. Spinach: Contains antioxidants that boost the immune system and suppress inflammation.
10. Berries: Free radicals are eaten up by beautiful berries. If you choose to eat strawberries, only buy organic!
Set the goal of adding five of these anti-inflammatory wonders to your diet per day. You’ll be glad you did!
ARE YOU AT RISK FOR DEMENTIA, ALZHEIMER’S, or DEPRESSION? HOW HEALTHY IS YOUR BRAIN?
The BrainSpan test can be done in our office and it will give you a score on the health of your brain. The test is in two parts. Step one is a blood test done with a finger stick in the office that we mail to the lab for analysis. Step two is an online cognitive test. We will go over the results with you and make recommendations.
Don’t set yourself up for future problems! Let us help you help your brain!
Through September 30, the cost for a BrainSpan test is only $149 (normally $199). Ask us about it the next time you are in the office.
Until next time…
Yours in health,