Dr. Thorburns Health Tip – Knee Arthritis (Chiropractor Burbank Ca)
Greetings to you,
The knees are an area that is commonly affected by arthritis. Other frequently affected joints are the hips, hands and spine. Osteoarthritis is the “wear and tear” type that can appear at middle-age. It can be caused by excess stress on the joints, joint injuries, joint dysfunction in the hip area, or excess weight.
Here are some natural approaches that can help knee arthritis:
– One of the most common knee problems comes from the feet. Arches that drop cause a great amount of wear and tear on the inner knees. Get your feet evaluated. You may need orthotics, which are special arch supports that go into shoes.
– Wearing high heels can cause extra pressure on the knee joints. As much as possible, try to wear comfortable, flat shoes.
– Find a Chiropractic Clinic such as Cobb Chiropractic Clinic and book an appointment to have your hip joints evaluated by a competent chiropractor. If the bones and joints are fine, begin some stretching and strengthening exercises for the hips such as squatting, side leg lifts and buttock tightening. Also stretch your thigh muscles front and back regularly as these support knee mechanics.
– The American College of Rheumatology recommends physical activity as part of treatment for osteoarthritis. Exercising is safe for the joints affected by arthritis and will not make them worse, according to several studies.
– When exercising, avoid rapid or repetitive movements of affected joints. For instance, fast walking speeds puts increased stress on joints. Slower walking speeds avoids excessive joint strain. Swimming can also be very beneficial.
– Dr. Joel Kremer of the Albany New York Medical College recently summarized the current research knowledge on fish oils and arthritis. He concluded that taking 3 to 6 grams of fish oils daily for 12 weeks or more, resulted in fewer tender joints, less morning stiffness, increased range of motion, and patients could even lower their amount of anti-inflammatory drugs or stop taking them.
– Eat foods high in Omega 3 fatty acids such as salmon, flax seeds or walnuts. Also, the avoidance of sugar can reduce arthritis pain by 50% alone.
Until next time…
Yours in health,
Dr. Charlene Thorburn D.C., R.N.
Chiropractor and Nutritional Consultant
A Winner of the Top Doc L.A. Award
Thorburn Chiropractic and Wellness Center
1612 W. Burbank Blvd. , Burbank, CA 91506
Phone: (818) 841-1313